Why It’s So Hard to Let Go of My Shitcoins?

Image generated by Author via Leonardo.AI

For non-Medium members, click here to read this story for free!👌

Ah, the world of crypto. A place where dreams are made, fortunes are lost, and shitcoins are… well, shitcoins.

If you’ve been in the crypto space since 2017 like me, you’ve probably amassed a treasure trove of these digital duds that would make even the most dedicated crypto HODLer cringe!

So buckle in, rearrange your testicles, and get ready to take on the journey back in time to the crypto trenches, where shitcoins reign supreme. 💩

The Early Days of 2017–2018

Back in 2017, the crypto world was like the Wild West.

Bitcoin was skyrocketing, Ethereum was the new kid on the block, and Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), Airdrops, and Crypto Bounty Huntings were popping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

I was a plain newbie, eager to learn and make a fortune. I dived in headfirst, joined every airdrop and crypto bounty I could find.

I even threw some spare change at a variety of coins, some with names so ridiculous they seemed like they were generated by a random word generator.

The FOMO days of 2019–2020

By early 2020, I had amassed a diverse portfolio of shitcoins and kept it in multiple crypto wallets.

Many of these were acquired through my side hustle of participating in airdrops and bounty hunts.

Others were impulsively bought due to FOMO, encouraged by my Moonboy colleagues who persistently shilled me that the latest coin they found on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, etc, etc. was destined to skyrocket.

Me, being the faithful newbie was then convinced that one of these coins would be the next Bitcoin.

Spoiler alert: they weren’t! But well, at least I had fun collecting them, right?

The Crypto Play-to-earn Craze of 2021–2022

Now comes the fun part, the era of crypto games. I’ve spent countless hours playing games that promised token rewards which they say “I can then soon exchange for a life-changing amount”.

Remember Axie Infinity? The game that took the GameFi industry by storm?

Cryptobros and Finfluencers claim this game is changing lives in developing and emerging countries like the Philippines, Vietnam, India, and Thailand.

I was among those GameFi degens who spent thousands of dollars just to breed and grind my Axie NFTs.

Back then, my poor 6-year-old Android phone would often overheat, practically begging for a break after hours of gameplay.

I was painstakingly grinding hard that time just to earn those sweet SLP shitcoins, which I’m still holding in my bag to this day.

Apart from that, I’ve also played MIR4 and Binamon. I even doubled down and bought some presale shitcoins on upcoming P2E game releases, which ultimately left me with a wallet full of shitcoins and NFTs.

Now, they are worth less than the electricity I’ve paid to play and grind just to mint them.

But I’ve convinced myself that it’s too late to sell now, I’ve made it this far…. Surely, these coins would appreciate in value someday. Right?

Present day 2024

Now as I’m writing this, my shitcoin collection is still as worthless as ever.

I’ve tried selling them on various exchanges, but it’s like trying to sell sand in the desert. Nobody wants them.

I’ve even thought of using them as digital confetti for my next virtual party. At least they’d serve some purpose.

The Struggle to Sell

Selling shitcoins is a form of art. It requires patience, persistence, and a healthy dose of humor.

Here are a few of the challenges I’ve faced:

  1. Liquidity issues: Finding a greater fool to buy my shitcoins is like finding a needle in a haystack. Most of these coins have such low trading volumes that it’s nearly impossible to sell them without crashing the price.
  2. Exchange delistings: Some of my treasured shitcoins have been delisted from major exchanges, making them even harder to sell.
  3. Scam alerts: We all know this space is infested with scammers, and shitcoins are at the center stage of them. I’ve had to navigate through a minefield of shady exchanges and dodgy buyers.
  4. Emotional attachment: After seven years, I’ve developed a strange attachment to my trove of shitcoins. They’re like digital pets that I’ve nurtured and cared for. Parting with them is harder than I thought.

The Silver Lining

Despite the challenges, there were a few silver linings to my shitcoin journey:

Lessons learned: I’ve learned valuable lessons about the importance of research, diversification, and risk management. These lessons will serve me well in my current and future investments.

Community support: The crypto community is filled with like-minded crypto degens who share my struggles. Through our shared shitcoin horror stories, I’ve forged stronger bonds with friends and former colleagues.

Together, we can look back at our misfortunes, laugh about them, and find solace in knowing we’re not alone in this shitty ride.

The HODL effect: In the ever-evolving world of crypto, there’s always hope that one of my shitcoins will suddenly moon! It’s a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

Conclusion

So, why is it so hard to sell my shitcoins? Because they’re shitcoins, plain and simple.

Despite the challenges, I wouldn’t trade my seven-year journey in the crypto trenches for anything.

It’s been a wild ride, full of ups and downs, laughter, and well more laughter.

And who knows? Maybe one day, my shitcoins will finally have their moment in the sun.

Until then, I’ll keep HODLing my 💩.

Enjoyed reading this? Tap on the 👏 icon, share your thoughts, and follow to get such insightful crypto stories weekly.

You might also want to check other related content here: 👇👇👇

Cheers!👌


Why It’s So Hard to Let Go of My Shitcoins? was originally published in The Dark Side on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.



from The Dark Side - Medium https://ift.tt/Md1YwgC

Post a Comment

0 Comments